Wouldn’t it be cool if there was a way to track comments across blogs and discussion sites such as slashdot or TSS? Maybe this capability exists, and if so, PLEASE enlighten me. If not, I am happy to take credit for the idea that someone will implement and become a hundred thousandaire.

Here’s the problem:

We all have 100s or feeds that we follow in our trusty RSS reader of choice. If you’re like me, and read about 10% of the feeds that are tracked, you quickly realize that there are a handful of people on the Interweb whose opinions you respect and want to follow daily. Following their blogs via RSS does the trick 75% of the time. I’m beginning to think that the other 25% is just as important. For example, I follow what Roy Russo says on his Loopfuse blog. But I almost missed when he posted the following comment on Marc Fleury’s blog:

In response to a user who posted a comment in Chinese (which, for the most part, few of us in North America would be able to understand).

Roy Russo said…
I agree with the chinese guy.
September 28, 2007 7:12:00 AM PDT

ROTFL….I fear that I’m missing witty comments like this all the time.

Actually, a better example is Bill Burke’s comments during a TSS discussion on the bind that Interface21 & SpikeSource are in. Bill made some great points and I almost missed them because he made them on TSS (which I seldom read on a daily basis) versus his blog.

I used to tag all my comments with a del.icio.us “comment-SavioRodrigues” tag, but that became cumbersome very quickly. I want the ability to automagically attribute all my comments on the Interweb, regardless of website or username, to some comprehensive pile in the sky. If you have a wordpress.com username, this is possible, but only on wordpress.com blogs. I’m looking for this capability to be extended across domains and online properties. I know I’d use this feature to keep better tabs on what folks like Bill, Matt, Roberto, Alex or the Redmonk guys are saying.

I can’t be alone here…

Maybe someone in OSS land can help? (I can write the hello world portion of the code in BASIC to get us started!)